Monday 12 August 2019

The extremes of being in an abusive relationship


My ex narcissist boyfriend was able to make me feel like the most important person in the world and was loving attentive and caring as well as romantic.
During these times, I felt blessed and I was totally in love with him and would have been happy to spend my life with him. When we spoke about marriage and having a family together I had no reservations whatsoever about this being part of our future together. Valeri would refer to me as his wife and would introduce me as his wife on meeting new people.

Valeri had the ability to make me feel like the star of my very own romantic movie and like the luckiest girl on the planet. He would arrange candlelight picnics on the beach in summer where we would swim and lay down under the stars. He would take me to remote beautiful places to watch the sun rise or set. He would come to my home and leave love notes or a flower on my pillow in the night when I was sleeping or built a fire so that I would wake up in the warm and there was so many other things that he did that showed thought and effort that made me feel loved and valued as well as safe and secure with him in a way that I had never felt before....

However Valeri was also able to make me feel like the person he hated most in the world and would insult me, criticise me, accuse me of the most heinous crimes as well as mentally and physically abuse me and I feared him more than I had ever feared anyone and at times I hated him with all my heart for what he would do to me and for how bad, worthless, disrespected and unloved he could make me feel.

The problem was that he wasnt always horrible and after an episode of inflicting the worst possible pain on me, he would go back to being the most amazing man in the world and I would forgive and forget what he had put me through until the next time it happened.
In the end however I was finding it harder and harder to forgive him and still felt resentful towards him even during his perfect boyfriend times but it got to the point that I was unable to express to him how I really felt about the abuse he had made me suffer with after it was over and had to go along with his romantic guestures and play the part of the loving girlfriend when in reality I was struggling to get past the last bout of abuse he had dealt me on top of all the other occasions and especially those times when he had beaten me up which I was constantly afraid he would do again if it came down to it so therefore now had to just be submissive when he started on me and just take it rather than defend myself and run the risk of making him more angry and more likely to end up with him hitting me.  
When I tried to explain this to him in his calmer moods, he would just brush it under the carpet and refused to discuss it by saying that he would never hit me again and wanted me to just let it go so if I carried on trying to make my true feelings known or acted in any way other than respond to him being the loving boyfriend by being the loving girlfriend, this would just end up triggering his rage again so I learned the hard way that it was safer for me to say nothing and just pretend I was over it and didn't hold a grudge against him when it was over and he was back to being nice which was not easy as not only did I feel abused in the bad times, I was now feeling abused in the good times by having to go along with being in love and appreciate the romantic things he did when I resented him for tarnishing them all now but I was also feeling resentment that I was unable to express my true feelings and emotions about how he was destroying the way I felt about him in the good times due to his abusive behaviour in the bad times.

I just had to be the way he wanted me to be which I had to pretend to be on some occasions especially towards the end.  

Eventually I fled the relationship with just the clothes on my back when I knew another episode of violence was coming and I just didn't have it in me to endure it again and have to then go through the romance period again especially when I felt more and more in fear of what he was capable of doing during the abusive episode as I was certain that he would no doubt end up killing me in the end.

I was not sure if it would happen this next time that was almost certainly coming and he was already building up to and past the point of no return so I knew it would and could happen at any moment now and I was on edge and anxious just waiting for the fallout.

I knew that I had to leave before he got the chance to do it again which I was sure would have been that night if I hadn't have left when I did. 
Whether or not it would have been that time or the next that he may have killed me was not a risk I was prepared to take!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your story! I am just out of a 2 year relationship with someone exactly the same! He was so jealous of anyone I knew and literally cut me completely off from anyone I could talk to, including my kids! When someone did reach out and call, I couldn’t even speak to them without it turning into some outrageous act that I committed or was committing, of complete treachery against him! Mr. Perfect! He could do no wrong! And was exactly the opposite of that person at other times! He made me feel love that I have never had. We were so comfortable sexually and I never felt that way with anyone. There is a true connection when it is good. I know he feels it. Yet in an instant he will lash out and go completely nuts telling me what I’d done and how I’m such a liar and leave me in a shocked abused dizzy state and ignore me for a week, only to show up a week later acting like he was such an ass! Yet we could never discuss anything about what had happened or why. I was not allowed to deny or react to any of it because he had a temper he could not control and at times was physically abusive, which of course was always my fault for trying to defend myself because I knew he had “ANGER ISSUES” ! And yet when he was good to me it was sooo good! One or the other never in between. Everything was always my fault and he actually is trying to tell me he should have known from the beginning how manipulative I was when I lied the first time!! Which was never true to begin with!! Nothing he ever says I’m doing is true! He yells and screams and I cannot even defend or argue because I’m gonna make him angry and he will hit me! Refused counseling together. Continually says I’m lying about going, and even after 3 weeks of being gone and not answering one text or call or any form of communication, shows up and leaves in an absolute fit and I can’t even get him to say what I’ve actually done!!!! On and on like this, and yet I still love the good him and know I need to stay away from him, but seem to fall back into it every single time just to be tossed away faster every time! Am I just as sick for loving the good him!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! I went through the exact samething. It was like a circle the same thing over n over again. But I never really realized anything until I started reading on quora! And he would always make up a story that was not true jus to get mad. It's crazy!

      Delete
  2. No, your not. Your empathetic. Something he will NEVER be.

    This is NOT an excuse to put up with it.

    If the bad, is bad, like REALLY BAD. And the good is great... Leave.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete

All comments are gladly received so I thank you for your time and your feedback

Overview

I am an English lady who lived in Bulgaria for 18 months which sadly did not turn out as I had hoped. I was not new to Bulgaria'...